Before you dig call South Dakota One Call 1-800-781-7474. They will then contact all utilities so that the buried lines can be properly marked, so you can dig in a safe environment. There is no cost to you, the caller, for the use of the system. The system is supported by utility companies in South Dakota as a means of preventing damage to their buried lines. The only exception would be when the homeowner if gardening at a depth less that 12 inches or when a farmer is tilling a field at a depth less than 18 inches.

The utility companies have 48 hours to mark their buried lines. You should not dig until the 48 hours time frame has elapsed. If a utility company has not responded to your request, please notify the South Dakota One Call Center.

Utility companies are only required to mark the buried lines that they own or operate.

Privately owned utilities (i.e. power from the meter to the house) would be the responsibility of the homeowner to have located. Kingsbury Electric performs this service for a fee.

After the buried lines have been marked and the 48 hour interval has elapsed the digging can proceed. If digging is required within 18 inches of any marking, it should be performed with hand tools to prevent damage to the line. You should never assume that the buried line is a specific depth as landscaping or other environmental factors may have changed the original depth that the line was placed. If damage does occur, (even if only the facility covering is broken), you should notify the utility company or South Dakota One Call. Do not attempt to repair a damaged facility.

Kingsbury Electric can help you answer this question, with the help of our new"Kill- a-Watt" meter. It s simple to use; just plug the"Kill-a-Watt" meter into your outlet, and plug the appliance in question into the meter. The"Kill-a-Watt" will display, in kilowatt-hours, how much energy the appliance is consuming. Use it to check your refrigerator, TV, computer system, washer or dryer, or any other electrical appliance.

Kingsbury Electric has two"Kill-a-Watt" meters available for members to borrow anytime they want to determine if an appliance is working efficiently or not. Measure how much juice that second fridge uses in an hour, a day, or a week.

The meters will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis. A deposit of $30.00 will be collected when the meter is checked out, and refunded when the meter is returned.

When people contact our office requesting electric service, one of the first requirements is that they sign a"membership application." Many times, we hear something like this:"We are only renting, shouldn t the landlord or owner of the property sign the membership? Or,"I own the property, but my tenants are responsible for utilities; shouldn t they sign the membership?"

Either way can be correct, but tenants and landlords need to be aware that the party who signs the membership application is the one who receives all rights and privileges of membership, including the right to vote at annual meetings and the earning of capital credits. However, that person is also ultimately responsible for payment of the electric bill.

A landlord that keeps a service in their own name when their renters move in may think they are doing them a favor by saving them from having to pay a deposit. Or, perhaps the landlord wants to retain the voting rights and all capital credits earnings.

This is fine, but the landlord may be liable for a large bill if this tenant is suddenly unable or unwilling to pay.

Tenants, who pay on an account in the landlord's name and do not transfer the account by signing a membership, will not earn any capital credits or be able to vote, although they are paying the utility bill.

Please note that adding someone s name and address under yours (example, Joe Landlord, in care of Fred Renter) does not make that person a member. Similarly, handing over your monthly bill to another party does not terminate your membership.

In other words, a membership recorded as in the above example means Fred Renter is not a member, cannot vote and will not receive any capital credits. If Fred Renter decides to pull up stakes and move out without paying his electric bill, Joe Landlord will be responsible.

This issue is something a tenant and landlord should discuss and agree upon before visiting our office.

If you have any questions on membership, please contact our office (605)854-3522 or (888)200-5243 toll free.

Energy assistance does not pay the full cost of a family s home heating but rather assists those families who would otherwise be unable to pay the cost of their home heating. Maximum payments for the lowest income households are approximately 70 percent of the entire heating costs.

No one is automatically eligible. You must apply, sho proof of income and home heating costs.

To be eligible, a household s total gross income may not exceed maximum income guidelines and the household must be responsible for paying home heating costs. Energy assistance payments will be made to energy suppliers.

Energy assistance money is distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicant eligibility and assistance amount are calculated according to household size, income, type, cost of heating and geographical location of the household.

You may request an application by calling 1-800-233-8503 

Income guidelines available on request.